Upload Audio Files for Mastering
Are your tracks ready for audio mastering?
Here’s a check list to upload audio files correctly…
- You are about to hand over the job of processing the master bus to a dedicated engineer. For this reason you must be sure there are no extreme effects or processing already on the master-bus. This includes compression or limiting. The only acceptable master bus processing is some ‘light’ bus compression sometimes used to help gel a mix together.
- You must be happy with the overall balance of the mix and ensure no levels are peaking (hitting the red) on all channels including the master bus. Please load your mix-down into an empty project and check this. You’d be amazed at how many mixes we turn away because this has been overlooked! Try to allow for 2 or 3dB headroom between the highest peak and the ceiling on the masters.
- At this stage in the production you should be working with, at the very least, 16bit 44.1kHz wav files or something similar although we strongly recommend using longer word-lengths and higher sample frequencies – for example, 24bit 96kHz. Conversion to mp3 or any other lower resolution format should only be carried after the audio mastering process by the audio mastering engineer.
- If you only have mixes in mp3 format and nothing else, don’t worry, we can still do amazing things with just mp3. Just let us know this is the case.
- If you are unsure about any of the above or have any questions you can contact us. Or just upload your music and we will take it from there.